The bells at St. Leonard's
There are eight bells in our tower. The bells as we have them now were re-cast from the previous bells in 1923 with additional metal at the Whitechapel Foundry. The Tenor has the inscription “PEACE AND PROSPERITY TO THIS PARISH” together with the names of the Vicar, Churchwardens and the Foundry.
The bells are numbered one to eight (or one to six), with the lightest, no 1, called the Treble and the heaviest, no 8, called the Tenor. A simple round goes Treble through to Tenor, in order. ‘Changes’ can then be called which swaps the order of two bells, each bell moving only one place at a time; this is repeated many times with different bells till we return to the original order.
The essence of a method is quite simple, it is a set of rules that govern how each bell changes its position in the sequence of bells from one stroke to another. Methods start and end in rounds. Each bell sounds exactly once in each cycle (row or change). A bell can move only one position in the sequence at a time. A particular sequence of bells is not repeated within a method. There is a huge number of named methods and variations of those depending on the number of bells.
St. Leonard's ringers are affiliated to the Sussex County Association of Change Ringers